November

Matthew 13.
Hindsight is 2020.

Friday, August 19, 2011

Funny Guy Friday... I was innocently playing "Bubble Bust"...

    Please be advised that this week's FGF is rated PG13 due to the adult content. It could be the most controversial post ever----as always, it is all Cheryl's fault.
    On Wednesday, I came home to find that the boys were over at their Aunt's house and Cheryl and Grace were sitting together on the loveseat. Cheryl was on the laptop and Grace was playing on her iPod. I snuggled up and broke out my own iPhone and joined in the fun. Grace and I were playing a game called Bubble Bust.
    When Cheryl looked up from her precious Mac, she was disgusted to see Grace and me deep in Bubble Bust strategy. She said it was ridiculous that we would sit there, wasting our time busting balls. Of course, Grace and I giggled at this.
    Cheryl was not amused: "Why would you laugh at that?"--- as if it were not obvious.
    More importantly, she wondered why Grace was grinning. She did not believe that Grace would understand anything about the phrase ball busting. Grace assured her that she did know what it meant, but she did not want to say it out loud. Everyone was satisified with this exchange except for Cheryl.
    Cheryl pressed on and told Grace that it was not as bad as she may think (aka... not the kind of thing a 15-year-old would snicker at), but that it just meant that someone was being a bit hard on another person or on a group.
    That may be true in "Cheryl World," but I thought that I had better set the record straight and make sure Grace knew that it did not just mean that someone was not being nice. Basically, I clarified that it is a very inappropriate way to point out that someone is being a bit hard on another person or group and that the person or group is typically of the male gender.
    Surprisingly, Cheryl was not satisfied with this clarification and said to Grace that using those words together is not always inappropriate and did not have to be sexual in nature. What? Are you kidding me? Just because you, Sister Cheryl, innocently uttered the phrase in a sentence, does not somehow change the fact that it is not an appropriate expression.  She was still not convinced, so I decided to prove my point.
    I told Grace that Mom was right and at times, you can use that particular phrase to make a salient point. For example, if at church on Sunday, Father gives a fiery homily, you could go up to him after Mass and tell him, Hey Father, that was a great homily, but don't you think you were kind of bustin' balls there at the end!     
    Now, of course, I had gone too far. Cheryl slapped my arm and caused me to lose my game of Bubble Bust.
    This upset me so I turned to Cheryl, told her to relax, and made it very clear to her that I was not being serious, but which is it? Is it inappropriate or not?
    I also advised Cheryl that at this point, I was just using an innappropriate way to be hard on another person or group and in this particular case, that person was of the female gender.  
    I think that it is safe to say that that phrase will never be uttered again by any member of our family. Innocently or otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails