November

Matthew 13.
Hindsight is 2020.

Friday, August 29, 2014

Funny Guy Friday... Why doesn't she call?

     Well, it has been one busy week at the old homestead.
     It was our first week without our baby girl who went away to college. From what I can tell from the phone calls that she is not making home to her patiently awaiting parents, she seems to be having a great time. And when I broke down on day one of her college career and called her, she advised that she was "busy with some friends."
     What's the big idea of her making friends? I remember being miserable on my first night away at college, so she should have the decency to have that same experience.  
     But that is not the worst of it.
     On day two sans Gracie, Cheryl texted her and advised that she should try and make it to the Grotto and say a prayer for her cousin who was getting married this weekend (actually on Friday... but more on that in a minute) and for her first week up at the Mount. Gracie texted back that she couldn't because she was out partying with two boys lol.
     No lol... in fact, no l at all! Those two boys can burn in l for all I care.
     When people ask me how she seems to be adapting, I tell them that the ungrateful little rascal seems to be adapting pretty well... a little too well for my tastes.
     I am not obsessing over it or anything, but I can't figure out why she is not calling us all the time wanting to come home. I mean we had a great little thing going!
     Oh well... I am over it!
     But a call home every once in awhile is really the right thing to do, don't you think?
     Additionally, in all the excitement of Gracie starting her college career, we forgot all about our brand new high school student. That's right, little Michael is started his high school career. What's that, his name is Matthew?! Wow, we really have been ignoring the little guy! 
     After four years of homeschool, Matthew is ready for the hustle and bustle that goes along with a large Catholic High School... and as a bonus, he has both male and non-male classmates, if you get what I am saying.
     Times are different than when I was in high school. I used to get sick to my stomach pacing around trying to build up the courage to call a girl. Of course, I always hung up if someone actually picked up the other end. But even with the hang up, I felt pretty cool calling a girl.
     Today, everyone has everyone else's number, snap chat account, twitter feed, instant message or face book page programmed into their phone.
     And my little hang up routine would never work today because my picture would pop up on their phone revealing my secret identity. In fact, the death knoll for the hang up was the invention of caller ID. I can remember my shock and horror when I got a call back from someone who had caller ID.
     Hello.
     Did you just call this number? 
     Huh, what, me er, uh, uh, no. And don't ever call me again! Click!
     I figured the best defense was a good offense. I was an idiot!
     With all of this new schooling going on, my nephew got married today.
     I know what you are thinking... Isn't that kind of odd to get married on a Friday?... before Labor Day?... Isn't there a chance that traffic could be bad? 
     Don't worry, they took that into consideration and chose a location far away from all the tourists and the traffic... downtown Annapolis. What are the chances... 100%... that there will be a lot of people in Annapolis on the Friday before Labor Day!!
     I was told that by getting married on a Friday, they got a great deal. I bet they did. I bet it would have been cheaper on a Tuesday, but they did not consult me!
     Family has been rolling in all week, including Grace who arrived home on Thursday night. If you were not at the rehearsal dinner, you were invited to our house for some Italian subs, Italian sausage and Italian wine.
     All great treats that we enjoyed while growing up.
     As we sat around the table, eating, drinking, laughing, and telling stories, one thought kept going through my mind...
     Why isn't Gracie calling me every day!
     Forget it. Now I am over it. It's on to the wedding.
     Say a prayer for my nephew Daniel and his new wife, Kelsie. May they have a long happy marriage and a home blessed with love, laughter, good food, and good wine. And may God bless them with beautiful, happy children. Happy... that is... right up until they go off to college. At that point, I hope, for every one's sake, the kids are a little bit miserable and call home.
     Let's face it... it's the right thing to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails