November

Matthew 13.
Hindsight is 2020.

Friday, October 24, 2014

Funny Guy Friday... Details, details...

     Funny Guy Friday is written each week by my husband Mark. So, I married a funny guy...
     When Matthew asked us if he could ask a girl to his homecoming dance, Cheryl asked, You mean like a date? Then she joked, What are you going to do, ride your bike over to her house and pick her up? 
     Of course he wasn't going to do that.
     I mean, he wasn't sure what he was going to do for transportation, but he did know that he wasn't going to pick her up on his bike. In fact, I am convinced that, somewhere in his mind, he may have thought that he wouldn't see her until they both arrived at the dance. A quick exchange of flowers and in they'd go. Well... maybe pictures, somewhere, ahead of time.
     As the big day approached, I kept asking him if he knew where she lived.
     I dunno.
     Well, when are you going to find out?
     I dunno! Why does it matter? 
     You have to pick her up... and then get her to the dance.
     I think she lives like twenty minutes from the school. 
     That narrows it down for us. Do you know in what direction... north, east, south, or west? 
     I dunno.
     And that was as much information as we had until Friday.
     Did you ever find out where she lives?    
     I dunno... but we are meeting for pictures in Arnold.
     That is kind of in the opposite direction of the school.
     I dunno.
     I am not asking you... I am telling you... it is in the opposite direction. Do you have an address?
     Uh, no. Hey... can I go to a party after the dance?
     Where?
     I dunno. Millersville, I think. 
     That's good... that is near the school. What time?
     I dunno. 
     Do you have an address?
     I dunno.
     What time does it end?
     Not sure.
     Are the parents going to be home?
     YES... I know this one.... YES! I asked because I knew you would ask me that.
     Is your date going?
     I dunno. Why?
     If she is not going to the party and you are, you need to take her home first.
     Dad... this isn't like a real date-date. I think her mom can pick her up.
     Matthew... it is a real date. You asked her out on a date! You take her on the date, and you take her home after the date!
     Oh, by the way, she lives in Severna Park.
     Great... that's not that close to Millersville.  So, you're telling me that I have to take you to Arnold for photos... then take you both to your school in Millersville a half-hour away... then we take her home to Severna Park... and then take you to the party back in Millersville and then I have to hang out for a couple hours and then pick you up and drive you home?
     Uh, I dunno.  But I do know that you also need to take me to my baseball game at the school at 2:00 p.m. and have me home by 4:15 p.m.  
     Guess what... that wasn't all the driving I did that night.
     After we dropped Matthew and his date off at the dance, we had to go back to our house to get Grace and Noah, who were babysitting at my nephew's house... near the high school. And Matthew's date's mother invited us to dinner with them at a restaurant... near our house.    
     I was discussing my chauffeuring experience to a friend when he explained that these dances are not really dates but instead, they are photo opportunities.  I have no idea if this is true or not but I do know that if all they wanted to do was take some good photos... Mission Accomplished.
     The young lady that Matthew took to the dance was a very pretty girl who loves art and likes to play piano and bake. Cheryl and I both agreed... she is perfect for Noah. Oh, did I mention that she may just be the most photogenic person that I have ever met?
     And the old saying that... The rising tide floats all boats... was never more evident. Matthew actually looked good standing next to her. Dare I say... he looked handsome!
     Cheryl is very hesitant to allow Matthew to date... in the traditional sense. But I think that we all learned something this weekend. Cheryl learned that an occasional dance isn't so bad. Matthew learned that there are responsibilities that a young man has when he is out with a young lady.
     And I learned that if Matthew is going to go on more dates like these... I'd better have a full tank of gas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails