November

Matthew 13.
Hindsight is 2020.

Friday, August 24, 2012

Funny Guy Friday… Clear that with me, will ya?

    Funny Guy Friday is written each week by my husband Mark. So… I married a funny guy.
    Cheryl and the kids went to visit some friends in New Jersey this past weekend and as often is the case, the typical Friday to Sunday weekend became the Friday to Wednesday weekend.  Not sure how this happens whenever my family goes away without me for a day or two, but it does.
    Anyway, on Wednesday, I logged onto my facebook page and found a beautiful picture of my daughter with her hair pulled back, proudly displaying a second piercing in her ear.  At first, I thought it was a joke because there is no way that my wife would allow such a thing without first consulting with me. Now mind you, my response would have been Honey, that is up to you. That is girlie stuff. But that's not the point.
    The point is that we talk about these things. We deliberate about these things. We over-analyze  these things. We don't rush in and put holes in our bodies without weeks of thoughtful angst.
     Perhaps a bit of history will help me make my point. When Gracie was a baby, we actually had a long discussion about changing her from number 1 diapers to number 2 diapers. This, right after my brother, who is only two years older than I, advised us that his oldest son had just chosen to attend college at LaSalle in Philadelphia. Big deal, your kid is going off to college in another state......my baby girl occasionally has poopie leaking out of her diaper and we are considering a move to a larger size. Call us when you have some big news, bro. 
    When it was time for Gracie to go to pre-school, we found the perfect little spot right on my way to work. Perfect, except for the fact that she bawled every morning when we made the turn into the place. I could not sleep and thought to myself....my wife is a stay at home mom; Grace does not need to go to school until next year. She hates it and I hate it! 
     After we had numerous conversations with the ladies that ran the program, they assured us that this was typical. And so my wife convinced me that we should leave her in the program.  That's right, the same wife that could not get Noah out of school fast enough. The same wife that swears that our kids will never again see the inside of a "real" school in her lifetime. The same wife that is the Queen of Homeschooling had a different opinion way back when.
    It turns out that despite our deliberations, we made the wrong decision. The entire staff quit during the Christmas break. To this day, Grace only knows the alphabet through the letter L.
    Based on our disastrous pre-school decision, we put even extra thought into where to send Gracie for kindergarten. Months and months of research and discussion and we chose a Catholic school. We were hopeful that the folks at St. Pius wouldn't ruin our little girl.
    I remember our first parent teacher conference. Cheryl and I were all scrunched down in those little kindergarten chairs all excited to have someone tell us what we already knew, that our daughter was the greatest student to ever come along. The teacher started our conference with words that I have burned in my memory… I know that you both think that Grace is the center of your universe. Unfortunately, Grace thinks she is the center of every one's universe.  
    What? This can't be. Oh, but her teacher was not done. Last week, I was talking to another teacher in the hallway and Grace poked her head out of the doorway and told us that we had been out of the classroom long enough, and didn't we think it was about time to get back to teaching! 
    Once again, we clearly made the wrong decision when we sent Grace to a school that clearly did not understand her brilliance.
    If the ear piercing was not enough, my wife made some other decisions during the family… sans dad… vacation. Upon her return, we were watching TV and Cheryl asked me if I cared if Matthew got an instagram on his iPod. Before I could ask What is instagram? all three kids jumped in and yelled, TOO LATE, HE ALREADY HAS IT! 
    Are you kidding me? Cheryl was doing an ex-post facto permission request. She had already okayed the request, but after being advised that I would like to be included in all decisions, including, but not limited to, body mutilations on our children, she was trying to sneak one past me.  Where does this madness end?
    I sure hope that the MOMMY HEARTS NEW JERSEY tattoo that Noah got on his left bicep can be removed.

    Extra bonus FGF.......
    My baby girl turns 16 this week. Much to my chagrin, she is turning into a baby woman. She challenges my authority, she questions my decisions and she thinks that she has a mind of her own. She reminds me a lot of her mother.
    TOP 16 FUNNY GUY FRIDAY GRACIE MOMENTS
     1.  Grace questioned why a Priest was asking for money for his condo… when he was actually asking for money for his parish in the Congo.
     2.  While potty training, she tried to "piddle" out of her belly button while standing up.
     3.  She gave herself highlights after being expressly told not to and thought her mother wouldn't notice.
     4.  She sprained her thumb while swinging a softball bat and sprained her wrist playing Mario Cart Wii.
     5.  She thinks love is best expressed by a trip to Night Time Pediatrics.
     6.  She sat on her little brother's head and tried to convince us that he put his head there in an effort to frame her.
     7.  She begged and begged to get her first ear piercing and then ran from the mall in tears from the fear of having someone.......pierce her ear.
     8.  She declared war with me by stealing my hair brush.
     9.  She hated the fact that her mother and I "got all popular" at our 30 year high school reunion.
    10. She can't believe that anyone would work forty hours in a single work week.
    11. Her heart belongs in Texas… or if not in Texas, in texting her cousin in Texas.
    12. If she can't go to Texas… she thinks I should buy her a new Mustang.
    13. She confused Mel Gibson with Mel Blanc. All Mels are created equal.
    14. She volunteered our house to an exchange student without ever asking. He wanted to live like an American for four weeks so he sat in front of the TV and watched the Disney channel for ten hours a day.  Oh no, that's right. That was our kids.
    15. She loves morphine for her pain in the butt. She can both be one and have one!
    16. The day she was born was the greatest day in our lives. 4 lbs. 6oz. of the most beautiful baby that I have ever seen (although I must be honest, when I look at pictures, she bore a striking resemblance to E.T.). I fell in love with her the first time I laid eyes on her and love her more and more every day.

    Happy Sweet 16 Gracie!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails