November

Matthew 13.
Hindsight is 2020.

Friday, October 18, 2013

Funny Guy Friday... Mark Chandlee is a good man...

     As you know, Funny Guy Friday is written each week by my husband Mark. This is the text of the speech Funny Guy gave for our very dear friend, Mark Chandlee, as he took his seat tonight on the Circuit Court bench for Calvert County. 

     I met Mark about twenty years ago when we started out as Assistant State's Attorneys in Prince George's County.
     I remember my first week, I sat with him during a trial against some guy that Mark referred to as "that guy with the fake Boston accent." Mark would remember the guy better than I (Mark went on to become law partners with that attorney).
     Anyway, I look around here today and I see so many of the people that we worked with in that office who are now Judges... and I am left wondering... what do I have to do to get one of these cushie jobs.
     From what I have been able to gather, it all starts with a call to Senator Miller’s office and a chat with one of the most influential people in the State... I plan on calling Monday... I hope his daughter Missy will take my call.
     When Mark called me to tell me that the Governor had selected him as the next Circuit Court Judge in Calvert County he was so happy. I asked him how his wife Liz had taken the news, and he told me she too was ecstatic. My next question was Why did you call her first? You always call me first with any big news. We talk four times a day. 
     I talk to him more than I talk to my wife. When he has a problem, he calls me. When he has a case he wants to discuss, he calls me. When some client is driving him crazy, he calls me. He gets appointed to be a Circuit Court Judge... and he calls his wife. C'mon man!
     After he realized the error of his ways, he apologized profusely, and then asked if I would be one of his speakers at his swearing in. Of course, I told him that I would be honored, and I asked if there were anything specific that he wanted me to address, or whether he wanted me to set a certain tone for the ceremony.
     He told me he had chosen three speakers: one who was smart; one who was kind; and one who was funny. I knew I wasn’t the smart one, so I asked whether I was the funny one or the kind one? He told me I was neither. But he did say he had a kind person already lined up to speak.
     Further, as for possibilities for some humor: Mark's brother Steve would probably stand up there and cry; the always entertaining Judge Steven Clagett was already booked for Judge Saunders’ swearing in;  and he could not get a hold of his first grade teacher or his high school football coach. So I was going to have to do for the funny part.
     Mark’s exact words were, Be funny and make fun of me.  
     I immediately said, Your Honor, I have known you for more than twenty years, and in all that time, you have never done anything or said anything that I could possibly make fun of. He quickly reminded me that I cannot appear in front of him because we own a place in Ocean City together, so... where do I start and how much time do I get?
     What I thought I would try to do is to give everyone a glimpse of what kind of person Mark is and thus give everyone an idea of what kind of Judge he will be.
     First, Mark can always find the bright spot in the worst of circumstances. Judge Marjorie Clagett has often said that she has a Pollyannic view of things and that you should see the glass half full and not half empty.  Mark has that same quality and had it even as a young man. The best example is one from his youth.
     When Mark was ten, and was just starting to play tennis, he entered his first tournament. As luck would have it, he drew the number one player in the State of Maryland as his first opponent. This kid was fast, strong, handsome, and came from a family of superior athletes.
     It was my brother Jeff.
     Jeff beat him 6-0 and 6-1 in a two-set match. Every time Mark tells that story he always adds, It was the toughest 6-0, 6-1 match your brother ever had... we had a lot of long points.
     I told him that my dad made Jeff throw at least one game to the kids that weren’t any good, just so they wouldn’t give up on playing tennis. Mark also has a long memory because when my brother was in the hospital a few years ago recovering from lung surgery, Mark called the hospital to challenge him to a rematch.
     Second, Mark is an idea man and a leader. He has coached baseball, basketball and football. He has organized adult softball teams, parties, camping trips and canoe trips. And even if the ideas are not his own, he will happily take credit for them.
     I was on the Calvert County Bar Association Board of Directors for eight years, and at the end of my last term I finally came up with two ideas... a golf tournament and a ski trip. I told Mark about my ideas and two days later I get a call from Amy Lourenzini asking me if I wanted to go on a ski trip that Mark Chandlee was putting together... and if I had any interest in a golf tournament that Mark was organizing for the Spring.
     In fact, now that I think about it... about seven months ago, I mentioned to Mark that I was going to put my name in for Circuit Court Judge... and now here he sits.
     Third, Mark is a confident man but not overconfident. After the initial excitement of the Governor's appointment wore off and a few days had passed, Mark had a moment of doubt and questioned whether he was smart enough to do this job. I told him that there are tons of judges that we know and you are at least as smart as they. After ten minutes of discussion, we came up with two in particular. But just to be clear... neither of them is here in this courtroom today.
     I also don’t think that this new position will change him in any way... but yesterday, I had to go to Baltimore for court and did not get back until 4:30, so I was late for Judge Saunders' swearing in. I had to sit in the overflow room over in District Court, and guess who was standing in the back all by herself... the lovely Liz Chandlee... while Mark sat up front in the main room with all of his new judge friends. The poor thing was all alone.
     Of course Liz did not help my confidence when the first thing she said to me when I walked in was Wow, Judge Clagett was really good... and he was funny! Tough act to follow!
     Finally, Mark is an understanding and forgiving man. He has practiced in just about every jurisdiction in the State, yet neither he nor his secretary Michelle, have any concept of the whole space-time continuum. They don’t understand that you cannot be in Ocean City at 1:00 and Prince Frederick at 2:00. I suppose the one thing that I am not going to miss is that 12:45 call from Mark, when I’m just getting in from lunch, asking me if I can go over to District Court to hold one of his client’s hands while he finishes up in Greenbelt.
     In all seriousness, I do want to tell you what kind of man Mark is, and I do believe that it will tell you what kind of judge he is going to be.
     When my father really liked and respected someone, he would admiringly say, He is a good man. It was his highest compliment. What makes up a good man? Let's take a little closer look at Mark.
     Mark is a tireless worker. I have called his office at all hours of the night, and he would always be there, prepping for trial or meeting with clients.
     He is loyal to the end. He has been so with his friends, his family, and his colleagues. He worked with his law partner for more than twenty years and developed a tight bond with him and their staff. I spoke with him two nights ago while he was cleaning out his office. Despite this wonderful opportunity opening up before him, he was in tears about having to leave that workplace. He refused my offer to drive by and give him a hug.
     Mark is smart. He has an honest and practical way of analyzing and breaking down complex issues.
     He is perhaps one of the kindest and funniest people that you will ever meet. His presence in the Courthouse is going to make it an even better place to work. I have heard from the courtroom clerks, the court reporters, the folks in the assignment office, the clerk’s office and the Sheriffs about how happy they are that he will be here every single day.
     Anyone who spends any amount of time with Mark walks away with a smile on his face. My wife and I had a party the other night and I found Mark and my 83-year-old mother sitting in a room together... and my mom was telling him stories about how she met my father... and I was amazed at how comfortable she was him and how willing he was to just sit and listen.
     Mark puts other people’s needs ahead of his own. When I spoke earlier about the call that he made to tell me about his appointment, it was the first time that I had ever heard him excited about something that involved just him. Usually his excitement is reserved for something that Liz or their sons have done.
     About a week ago, we were playing golf and talking about our kids, and he made a statement that kind of stuck with me. He said that some people wonder why God put them here on this earth. Mark said that he has no doubt as to why God put him here... he is here on this earth to be a good father to his four boys and raise them to be good men... and to be a good husband to Liz.
     He is absolutely correct, but I would submit that God has more plans for Mark. The benefactors are going to include the folks in this courthouse, the litigants that appear in front of him, and the people of Calvert County.  I think that the best thing I can say is that Mark Chandlee is a good man!
     We pray for you, Mark. We pray that you will have patience, wisdom, and an understanding of the truth. We love you and we know that you will do a great job.
     Congratulations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails