November

Matthew 13.
Hindsight is 2020.

Friday, March 20, 2015

Funny Guy Friday... I'm attending what??

     Funny Guy Friday is written each week by my husband Mark. So, I married a funny guy...
     Although my kids are similar in many ways, I often say that they are so different that you would think that they came from three different sets of parents.  So it should come as no surprise that I have a brother that is similar to me in many ways, but we too have many differences. Perhaps the biggest difference would be in our political views.
     I am a right-wing nut, and Paul is a left-wing kook.
     Now, when we are together, we rarely discuss politics. In fact, he sent out a very nice letter to the family during the last presidential election explaining that everyone would have much less angst if they just focused on what they could control and try not to cast all politicians as either all good or all evil.
     It was a nice letter... but he could afford to be nice. His guy was ahead in the polls!
     Not surprisingly, Paul's children have similar political views as his. They occasionally post things on Facebook that I read... sort of like spying on the enemy. Not that I consider them enemies... I love them all in spite of their misguided view of the world! I rarely ever comment on these posts, other than the occasional late-night grumble to Cheryl as I read some article about "climate change."
     Ah... climate change... the perfect explanation for everything. The 70's gave us the coming of another Ice Age... Al Gore's internet introduced us to global warming. Gee whiz... make up your minds. The world has been around since way before the '60's, and now, in the span of 50 years, we get two opposite weather theories predicting doom. Now we have climate change. Who can argue that the climate changes? The perfect explanation for anything!
     I once made the mistake of commenting about one of my sister-in-law's posts... only to have some college kid advise me, "You just don't get it."
     Oh, I get it alright, missy. I get it... and I get taxed for it!
     But I digress...
     Anyway, yesterday, I woke up and checked out Facebook. One of Paul's daughters attends college and posted that she was going to attend an event! I looked at the picture attached and it had a Pennsylvania license plate which read... SEX DOC.  The lecture was entitled, The Politics of Sexual Oppression. 
     I just had to see what this was all about.
     I clicked on the page, but it only expanded the page that I was already on. Then I did what I always do when my iPad doesn't respond... I started hitting everything on the page in hopes of getting what I wanted. Nothing happened... except that I noticed that my name appeared at the top of the page alongside of my niece's name. Oh well, I guess I never will know what The Politics of Sexual Oppression is all about.
     As I moved on, I began to wonder, why is my name up there with hers? Well, it appears that one of the buttons that I hit advised the organizers of the lecture that I would be attending. Turns out that I will know what the Politics of Sexual Oppression is after all!
     Once again, I panicked.
     Cheryl, what do I do?
     About what?
     The Politics of Sexual Oppression. A lecture that I am attending!
     Is there something you want to tell me? 
     I hit the wrong button... now I have to go.
     Un-invite yourself!
     Can you do that?  
     You can try. 
     I have never sexually oppressed anybody! This is bad! 

     I went back and hit the "Will Attend" button again... you know... to un-attend. I figured, That ought to undo it all! I jumped in the shower, confident that my little faux-pas would go unnoticed by all my friends... and family.
     My confidence was short-lived.
     On my drive in to work, I received a text from Gracie... Did you mean to go to this? with a picture of the Sexual Oppression page attached.
     Now my daughter thinks I am an oppressor. Worse, she thinks that I am going to this stupid lecture. Disaster. Who else has seen this?
     Then Grace followed up with... Can I go into your Facebook page and uninvite yourself?
     I thought I already did! Please do! 
     I hate Facebook!
     Turns out that Facebook was created by some guy named Zuckerburg. Zuckerburg is a liberal sympathizer that supports all kinds of liberal issues like immigration reform.  He is a bad, bad man.
     It is troublesome to me that a guy with these types of political beliefs carries so much control over our social media. This causes me great angst!
     What's that? He also funded groups that opposed Obamacare and supported the Keystone Pipeline? He is a good, good man.
     A guy like that can be trusted. And he probably drives my brother's family crazy!
     It turns out that my brother might be right. There is probably some good and some bad in all of our politicians.
     Except the sexual oppressors... those guys are all bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails