November

Matthew 13.
Hindsight is 2020.

Friday, December 11, 2015

Funny Guy Friday... Come on by...

    Funny Guy Friday is written each week by my husband Mark. So, I married a funny guy...
    I am sitting at my desk in the middle of the day typing this week's version of Funny Guy Friday. Although I am a partner at my firm, I still have duties that I just can't shirk... but still, here I sit typing away at 1 p.m. One would think that with more than a hundred open files that I would surely have something to do. But mine is the only computer that is turned on and my phone is the only one that will ring.
    You see today is the annual Christmas Party where we invite our friends, clients, judges, court house personnel, Sheriffs, other attorney's and their staffs, and I think, based on the turnout every year, they invite their friends, their clients, their judges and their court house personnel. I expect between six and seven hundred people are going to come walking through our doors starting at 4 p.m.
     We shut everything down and make each room a special holiday room. We have a full bar in the reception area, a wine room, a moonshine room, and a martini room. Our main conference room holds a buffet that supplements the wings, meatballs and ham sandwiches that we spread throughout the rest of the building.
     My office becomes a photo booth and my partner's office becomes an oyster raw bar. We have added and subtracted to the point that the party kind of runs itself... sort of.
     I  have only been here for fifteen years, but this is the nineteenth annual party... and it gets bigger every year. Now you would think that as the partner of the firm, I would know most of the people that attend but that would be incorrect.  I have gotten to know more and more people as a result of the party but there have been many occasions where people have been surprised to find out that I am who I am.
     For instance, I was getting some fresh air one year and I was talking with a young man who took a call from a friend. Hey man, I am at this great party in Prince Frederick... you should come.
      It doesn't matter if you were invited or not... there are so many people here that they can't possibly know who they invited.
      I inquired... Was that a friend of yours?
      Yeah, I think he is going to come with his girlfriend. 
      Do you think that the people that put this on may have a problem with that?
      How would they know?... there are so many people here!
      Good point, they really should do a better job of monitoring who comes to this thing. 
   
      Or the year a local politician approached me and asked me where I work.
      Right here at Davis Upton and Palumbo.
      No, that's not right.
      Ma'am, I am not sure of a lot of things in this world but one thing I am sure of is where I work. 
      So, what do you do?
      I am the Palumbo of Davis Upton and Palumbo.
      Are you sure?
      I will walk you outside and show you my name on the sign.
      Do you do something else?
      No. Just an attorney.
      She continued to question me so it got the point that I began to doubt that I was who I said I was.  When I got a free moment, I went out to check the sign... just to make sure.
      Just so you know, I am!

      This past year, I watched as my sister-in-law waited in the martini bar line. She made no headway in a ten-minute period. After watching, I walked over and asked what she wanted so I could get to the front of the line and help her out... assuming that this would be okay,.. since last we checked, my name was still on the sign.
      Hey buddy, what do you think you're doing?
      Getting a couple of drinks for my sister-in-law. 
      Well get in line like the rest of us. 
      Oh, I am sorry... I thought that I could jump ahead since I help pay for this thing. But, I will make a deal with you... you cut me a check for half of the costs of this party and I will gladly go wait at the end of the line. 
       Not surprisingly, he did not take me up on that offer.

       So now I've got to go take my shower and get ready for the onslaught.  If you happen to be near Prince Frederick tonight between 4 p.m and 9 p.m. feel free to stop on by. I am completely sincere when I say that you are welcome and you are welcome to bring a friend.  The people that run this thing have no idea who is invited and who is not.
       We are located right on Main Street... my name is on the sign out front.
       At least, I think my name is on the sign.
       It was last time I checked.
       I'd better go... just to make sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails