November

Matthew 13.
Hindsight is 2020.

Friday, July 8, 2011

Funny Guy Friday... The 4th of July...

     Matthew has often mentioned that the 4th of July is one of his favorite holidays, right up there with Thanksgiving. The reason is that you don't really have to do a whole lot on either holiday except eat and play football on Thanksgiving... and eat and watch fireworks on the 4th of July. Eating and doing nothing are two great traits for a holiday.
     This past week we celebrated our great country's birthday the same way we have celebrated for the past three years, by eating and watching fireworks at a friend's house (see last year's FGF.....Poor Aunt Dot). We visited our friend's home on the water in Pasadena on July 3rd and then had family over to eat and watch some more fireworks on July 4th. The weekend was full of great highlights.
     As we drove to our friend's cookout on the 3rd we contemplated stopping at Wendy's to get some "real food" to eat before the cookout. You see, last year, I recalled being very hungry and just wanting to get there so I could eat a nice grilled hamburger. When we arrived, we were greeted by a menu that was highlighted by veggie burgers. Seriously, is this the food that our country was founded on? I doubt very seriously that the signers of the Declaration of Independence celebrated their historical event by gathering at the local pub and ordering up a round of veggie burgers.
Hancock:  You know Ben, that the veggie burger is better for your heart than that old hamburger that you ordered... and by the way, the Turkey as the national bird was just a stupid idea.
Franklin: Well John, that veggie burger has no taste... and don't you think that your signature was just a bit over the top? 
     Fortunately, we did a little recon work with our spy on the inside. My brother-in-law was already at the party and gave a flattering report on the party chow. Hot dogs and shrimp kabobs were the highlighted items. No hamburgers, but they did have salmon burgers. Not the same thing... as the key to a real burger is the ham (aka MEAT)!!! not the veggie, tofu or salmon. Without the real meat, basically you have air in patty form. Not a perfect menu, but certainly not deserving of a pre-meal meal at Wendy's.    
     Once again, the fireworks were spectacular with no less than six different groups setting off fireworks on the other side of the river. We watched for more than an hour before having to leave... while the fireworks display continued. That night, the owner of the home advised that a similar "pyrotechnic" event occurred the night before and still another would occur the on the 4th. Awesome night.
     The next day, the actual 4th, we had the family over for a "real" cookout with flank steak, grilled chicken, hamburgers and hot dogs. As an added bonus, my sister brought a bushel of crabs. This prompted me to comment that if I knew that we were going to have crabs, I never would have invited Cheryl's family to the party. Matthew had a better idea, invite them----but give them a later starting time----a post crab feast starting time. A chip off the old block.
    By the way, thank God that we live in a country that figured out how to steam a crab. Think about that. Who figured that you could eat such a creature after steaming it in a mixture of water, beer and old bay seasoning. Our Founding Fathers were brilliant; forget about the Declaration of Independence, give me the guy that figured out that you could steam a crab.
     Speaking of preparing food, there is nothing hotter on a humid 95 degree day than cooking food on a 375 degree grill with the breeze changing directions every second so that the smoke and the heat smack you directly in the face-----no matter where you stand.  In spite of the heat, the food was spectacular, if I do say so myself.
     After our feast, when the sun went down, my brother-in-law broke out fireworks that he recently purchased at one of those temporary stands that you see in store parking lots. These were not the kind of fireworks that fly in the sky; instead, they stay on the ground and shoot colored sparks into the air. It is the kind of fireworks that we always had when we were kids. In fact, as I sat next to my two boys and watched the show, several thoughts ran through my mind. First, this is what we used to do on the 4th of July when we were kids. We had friends and family over, we ate, and when the sun went down, my dad would set off the fireworks. I missed my dad and I knew that he would have enjoyed this day. It did not matter what the occasion, he loved being with his family.
     I also realized that I am a lot like him, in that I love being with my family (including my crab stealing in-laws) and I am always happiest when we are together. I really do love them all, but with that being said, I do want to send a special shout out to my sister who not only buys the crabs, but she picks the crabs for others and does not eat the crab meat. My dad used to do the same thing, so it was always a strategic move to grab a seat next to my dad at the crabbing table. Now everyone snuggles up to my sister. Typically, this spot is reserved for the youngest family member or the most inexperienced crab picker at the table.
     I also hoped that my kids would remember these days and these traditions. I look forward to a day when Cheryl and I are invited over to one of our kids' homes for a 4th of July cookout and fireworks. I want the best seat in the house, not for the fireworks, but so I can watch my kids sit with their kids while they watch the fireworks. It will be great---I won't have to get the yard ready, I won't have to clean, I won't have to grill. My only responsibility will be to  sit and clean crabs for my grandkids.
     Our country is changing. Some of those changes are good and others not so good. But we  live in a great country where opportunities are limitless and anything is possible. I want my kids to take advantage of all that is available to them, but when all is said and done, personally, I hope that the more things change, the more things will stay the same.
     I hope everyone had a great 4th of July. As you can see, we did. We sat around and did nothing but eat and watch fireworks. A perfect holiday. I can't wait for Thanksgiving!
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails