November

Matthew 13.
Hindsight is 2020.

Friday, July 9, 2010

Funny Guy Friday... Musings from my funny hubby... Poor Aunt Dot...

     As Cheryl and I discussed our plans for the Fourth of July, I was surprised that we had limited options... or should I say... one limited option
     Last Fourth of July, we attended the wedding of a friend of Cheryl's. They were married at the bride's family's waterfront home where she had grown up, in Pasadena. The bride lives in California, but was having her wedding in Maryland.
     At the time, I thought that it was odd to get married on Independence Day (how ironic to get married on Independence Day), but I must say, we had a great time. From their home, we must have seen at least ten or twelve different fireworks displays across the river. Spectacular.
     This year, the new bride was home again, and we were invited back to a picnic to celebrate their anniversary. We were excited to go back.  
     The bride's father built this home with his siblings in the '60s, and all of the siblings have, at some point, lived in that house. In fact, three or four of those siblings---and their spouses---- still live in that house. It is a modest home, on the edge of a little cliff leading down to the water. 
     Cheryl's brother also attended the picnic, and he told me that about a week ago, one of the bride's elderly aunts had been walking near the cliff, lost her balance, slipped and fell down the hill. 
     I was surprised because it is a pretty steep hill with a lot of trees and brush. He told me that she did not make it. This was our friend's 89-year-old Aunt Dot. 
     Now, I was surprised that they were having this celebration, when their aunt had just passed away... and equally surprised that everyone was in such a good mood. Poor old Aunt Dot!
     On the Tuesday following the Fourth, Cheryl was talking to her sister, who also had attended the party, and they were laughing... and I heard Cheryl say something like, ...And thats the end... period... Dot!... and she was whooping it up.
     I did not think much of it until the next morning, when Cheryl was talking about poor Aunt Dot, and how it took five people to get her up out of the ravine... and how one of the bride's other aunts thought she had heard Aunt Dot calling out to her when she went out by the cliff.
     Then she told me about the funny conversation that she had had with her sister about poor Aunt Dot... and began to chuckle... and by this time, I had had enough. So I said, The poor woman died for goodness sakes! 
     The poor woman had died... and my lovely, caring wife and her sister... like everyone else at the party... were having a good laugh and a good time. My reaction brought even more joy to my wife as she laughed even harder. Astonishing.
    When she stopped laughing, Cheryl said, No she didn't... She did not die. She was not even hurt.
     I assured her that she was dead because her brother told me she did not make it. Cheryl assured me that Aunt Dot did not die, and that she was the lady that I handed the fruit salad to when we got to the party. I must say, she looked good for a dead lady.  
     See... what really happened was that the poor woman did fall down the hill. It's true... she didn't make it... back up the hill. She could not get back up the hill, and when her sister went out looking for her, she heard her calling. The sister called the paramedics and it took five of them to get her back up the hill.  She was fine... Not dead at all... but I wish my brother-in-law were.
    Now that I know Aunt Dot didn't die, I can say that the fireworks were great! Period, Dot.

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails