November

Matthew 13.
Hindsight is 2020.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Looking back… Looking ahead...

     So, here we are at the start of a new year. Naturally, I've been looking at the year in review, and noticing some big changes.
     If you have followed this blog since its beginning, you probably have noticed that I used to post many more political/current events stories than I do now. It isn't that I don't care anymore. It's just that nothing ever seems to change. And when it does, it doesn't last.
     Take the Tea Party victory, for instance. What a disappointment how the Republican leadership repeatedly squandered the mandate for restoration... both by their votes and by their voices. And shame on the media for being complicit in the fundamental transformation of our Republic. Historians will have a field day. Someday.
     In the meantime, if you are looking for political commentary, you can go back into my archives. It's all there. I sounded the alarm for a year and a half. And my sidebar still offers a wealth of information and useful links.
     People ask me who I like in the field of Republicans. My answer is whoever runs against Barack Obama. It's not tricky really. Four more years of this, and America will cease to exist as we know her. She's different already.
     I guess for the primary election, for me, it will come down to who is the least statist of all of the statists. And who truly recognizes the threats to America, both foreign and domestic. Show me a true, small-government, protect our borders, constitutional conservative, and he will get my vote. Doesn't America deserve civic leaders who will ensure freedom, and who won't spend and regulate her to death?
     Enough about politics.
     On a personal note, so much has changed for me. Of course the passing of Mark's dad has left a gaping hole in our family. Time and hope are what help there.
     Sweeping across the year… by the end of last school year, we had decided to withdraw from institutional education and teach our kids at home.
     Best. Decision. Ever.
     They genuinely enjoy their days and each other. God is present all day long. Our family has a freedom we had never enjoyed before. Our daily rhythms are natural. The kids play outside. And they are learning.
     Teaching them has been a big challenge for me, as I have a tenth grader, a sixth grader and a second grader, all with different learning styles and at different stages… all at the same time. Very difficult for me, as order does not come naturally. But I am very happy. And I thank God for each new day. Plus, I have a lot of support from my homeschooling, and non-homeschooling friends. I thank God for that, too. Mark is still skeptical, but he'll see the fruits soon enough. Onward I go.
     In the fall, I attended my 30th high school reunion. The time period that followed that night took me by surprise. I went through a bit of spiritual upheaval. Mostly involving forgiveness and letting go of my pride. Thank you Lord for my time with you in Adoration to really take a long look at my heart.
     I have often said that I prefer the woman I have become to the young girl I left behind. A girl who was mostly self conscious, insecure and somewhat detached. But I faced that girl from graduation day and finally embraced her. A girl that I had considered silly and fearful, always telling her, You should have been more confident.
     I have realized that she had protected me on many occasions. And she was mostly kind. And she loved God and her family. That's still me. It may sound silly, but I thanked her. And I told her that she did good. For the first time ever, I told her she did good.
     Subsequently, I opened up a Facebook page. For years, I had told myself I didn't need to stay connected, but I was wrong. I like to reach out. I like to share little nuggets for the day. I like to see other people lifting each other up. I still hesitate a little when "friending" others, for fear of intruding in their lives without having been invited. A remnant of the teenage me, I guess.
     Thanksgiving, and then Christmas, came and went, carrying with them so many blessings. And now we are at the start of a brand new year.
     My word for this year is order. This year, I will try to establish order in my days… in our schooling, in our home, and in my prayer life. This is the Lord's house, too. A calm lake reflects the sun. Calmer days for us will reflect the Son.
     Blessings to you in the new year. May the peace of Christ be always in your hearts and in your homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails