November

Matthew 13.
Hindsight is 2020.

Friday, August 9, 2013

Funny Guy Friday... Keeping the Faith... and Korn Hole...

     Let's play that old game of what does not belong...Which of the following items does not belong: clothing, food, water, beer, wine, ice, fans, extension cords, sleeping bags, pillows, bathing suits, towels, more fans, scooters, korn hole, basketballs, baseballs, footballs, frisbees, more ice, art supplies, coffee makers, flashlights and rosary beads.
     If you guessed any of these items, you would be wrong. These are all items that make their way down to Camp Maria for our yearly Catholic family retreat. Every vehicle that arrives is filled from top to bottom with stuff. Every man has to be proficient in packing, and the expert packers are even able to carve out a sight line for the driver. The more cautious families pack two vehicles.
     We arrive on Thursday and leave on Sunday, and every minute is filled with some activity. We wake up to the rosary, take part in hourly group discussions, attend Mass each day, and go to adoration one night. In and among all of this, we swim, canoe, run races, have egg toss competitions, frisbee competitions, belly flop competitions and korn hole competitions. Unfortunately, I am not a competitive guy so none of these games really appealed to me.
     Okay, I may be a little competitive but not so much that it ruined my weekend when Cheryl and I lost to Tim and Nicole in the semi-finals of the First Annual Sacred Heart Retreat Group Husband/Wife Korn Hole Contest. Although the game is under protest due to what everyone...and by everyone, I mean I...would agree was a blatant foot fault by Tim on the last and decisive toss. They denied that they cheated...but God knows. After all, it was a Catholic retreat!
     This year we introduced a new activity...skunk hunting. That is exactly what it sounds like...hundreds...okay maybe not hundreds, but tens of skunks came out each night to terrorize the camp grounds. I liken it to the time that God sent the terrible plagues to punish the sinners...only these guys were bigger...and potentially stinkier. Now that I think about it, I bet He sent those skunks to punish Tim...and Nicole because she married Tim. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.
     This year, the first day's theme was evangelizing. How can we as Catholics evangelize to others? First of all, the opportunity has to present itself. Some people can create their own opportunities and others have it thrust upon them. Some people, including me, find it difficult to talk about their faith, and others come by it naturally.
     I think one easy way to evangelize to others is by the example that you set on a daily basis. How do you treat others, how do you raise your kids, do you attend Mass, do you pray on a regular basis, do you have a relationship with Jesus? Believe me, people notice these things. I know because I notice these things in the families that attend Camp Maria.
     Although it may sound simple to say, just go and live a good life and have a strong relationship with Jesus, it is not simple. Our culture often has a different opinion of what is right and what is acceptable. If you are not sure about that, watch the commercials that play at any given moment on TV. Should we really have to turn the channel or hit mute during most of the commercials aired during a baseball game?
     Perhaps, at a retreat, it is preaching to the choir. You would suspect that retreat-goers would be leading a lifestyle that would be an example to others. And I think you'd be correct. But it is great for our family to get away and be surrounded by these people and in some way get some validation that what we are doing in our family is the right thing. I suspect that most of us on this retreat feel the same way...with the possible exception of Tim...and Nicole because as I mentioned earlier, she married Tim. They just live their lives doing anything to win. There is a special place for them in Korn Hole Hell.
     You know, it is a good thing that these silly competitions don't really matter to me.
     In one way or another, each of these families evangelizes to me. I see it in the way they love their spouses and their children. I see it in the ways that they treat each other, whether it be listening to a friend's problem, sharing a personal story, or kneeling down and talking to a small child.
     These are faithful people and they are devoted to Jesus.
     The second day's talks centered around the Sacred Heart of Jesus. I am always moved when I look up at the cross hanging over our altar at church and I think about the suffering that He went through for us. I also think of the Blessed Mother and how she must have suffered. I know that if an angel came to me and said...Your son will suffer a horrible death so the whole world will be saved...I would have two thoughts.
     First, Mr. Angel, you got the wrong kid because both of my boys are knuckleheads. Saviour? I don't think so. I would be happy if they would just remember to brush their teeth every morning...with toothpaste. 
     Second, Mr. Angel, that suffering thing is only going to happen over my dead body!  I just don't think that I would have the ability to watch that happen.
     Mary was a strong and faithful woman. I am not...strong...or a woman!
     The other thing that I took away from the weekend was this: despite what He has done for us, Jesus really does not ask for much. In fact, it is we who ask the most from Him. He just wants us to love Him. Perhaps every once in awhile, we should treat Jesus as our friend.
     In most of our prayers, we ask for Him to intercede and we need Him to intercede. But perhaps, every once in awhile, we should request that He just join us. Join us in a game, a walk or a canoe ride. Join us as we look up at the stars and marvel at His creations. He is the perfect friend...if He is with you, everything is good...and as an extra bonus...he will never try to cheat you in Korn Hole.  
     On a side Korn Hole note...it was fascinating how excited the wives would get when one of the other wives would have a good round, or how consoling they would be if one of them had a bad round. It was like they just wanted everyone to have fun or something, and winning the game didn't...really...matter. I don't care how silly that sounds, it mattered...the winners get to brag for a whole year!
     A WHOLE YEAR!
     Oh, it mattered.
     It was another great retreat at Camp Maria. We will be back again next year. I am hoping that the theme will be...Forgiveness. I must learn to forgive Tim and Nicole...but mainly, Tim.
     Alright, full disclosure...a confession of sorts. We lost in the semi-finals because I gave up two points in my final round and Tim and Nicole did not really cheat. There, I said it.
     I can't even blame Cheryl; she was outstanding. In fact, I told her the next morning that I would not have traded her for any other woman in the competition...except for Maria, the wife from the winning team. Man, if I had only had Maria, I would not have had to score any points on my my final throw. Maria would have already won the stupid game for us.
     You know, a thought just occurred to me. If I could have just ignored the whole Korn Hole debacle in this week's Funny Guy Friday and just talked about the retreat, I kind of, sort of...would have been evangalizing.
     I feel good. I feel energized. I am ready to carry on.
     Most importantly, I have a renewed hope...that next year WE ARE GOING TO WIN the Second Annual Sacred Heart Retreat Group Husband/Wife Korn Hole Tournament.
     Hey, I admit it, I am a work in progress.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails