November

Matthew 13.
Hindsight is 2020.

Friday, August 30, 2013

Funny Guy Friday... All grown up! Happy Birthday Grace...

     Funny Guy Friday is written each week by my husband Mark. So, I married a funny guy...
     This past week was a tough one for me.
     The funny thing about little girls... they grow up.
     I recently had a front row seat as one of the sweetest little girls that I have ever seen grew up right before my eyes. Seems like just yesterday she was a cute little round-faced girl, singing cute little songs that stuck in my head for hours on end. Those little songs kept us together at all times. I remember days when I would be driving alone in my car, and I would turn off the radio and hum along to the songs that were rattling around in my head.
     Even though she was not with me, she was with me. We were always connected.      
     I considered making a CD of her music to keep with me, so I could listen whenever I wanted... but thought better of it. I mean, what if my brother found out? He has four sons and would not understand my love and my loyalty to my girl. I can hear him now... You have a CD of what?
     What can I say? Maybe it was just me, but I loved my little singer.
     That was then. This is now.
     On August 27th, everything changed. I was checking my facebook and I saw it.  Some crude comment about my little girl dancing in her underwear. I was outraged and immediately called Gracie to come and explain this obvious lie. Alas, she could not deny it.
     The facebook post that I read... it was true... and my heart was broken.
     Hannah Montana was all grown up... dancing in her underwear... making suggestive movements ...  with a foam finger... to a married man.
     What happened to her? Where did she go wrong?  Why would she do this? Do I have to state the obvious...
     SHE HAD THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS!
     Oh yeah, in other big news that same day, our daughter Gracie turned seventeen!
     That's right, my real baby girl is 17 and starting her senior year of high school. Not only that, she is taking a course at the local community college. She is a college girl. I am not old enough to have a college girl. You should have seen her on her first day, she was beautiful... and fully dressed, I might add... in a stylish tee shirt and skirt. I presume she had on underwear, but it was clearly under her clothes, and not in lieu of the actual outfit.
     Cheryl and I are very proud of her... and not just because she knows how to dress herself without looking like a tramp. Grace is becoming a wonderful young lady.
     I think about my little girl and compare her to little ol' Miley Cyrus.
     Why would Grace develop into such a beautiful person, while Miley plays "dress up" pretending to be an adult. Note: I have met a lot of actual adults and have yet to see one of them shake their stuff like that.
     I have a few theories:  
     First, one of these young ladies grew up with a handsome and popular father, who was used to being a star and the center of attention. Long before his daughter came along, he was a great success in his own career and was loved by his many adoring fans. On the other hand, I have no idea what Miley's dad did for a living. I know one thing, he wasn't home watching over his daughter. My guess... he was some kind of traveling salesman.
     By the way, the guy that Miley was jiggling around with is married with a young child. What are the chances that his daughters end up as big a train wreck as young Miley.
     On a side note: Cheryl always tells me that women often marry men quite like their fathers. She has said many times that I am a bit like my father-in-law. I can't really see it... I mean, I am way younger than Cheryl's dad. But I digress...
     Second, there was one episode of Hannah Montana where Hannah's evil twin cousin came to town, and the evil Hannah/LouAnne locked the real Hannah in her bedroom and then pretended to be the real Hannah. (From a pure acting standpoint it was Miley's most challenging role as she played a double dual role). Anyway... Perhaps, Miley has an evil twin cousin that locked the real Miley in her bedroom, and the evil Miley and her foam finger are pretending to be the real Miley!
     For the record, there is only one Gracie! She is always good... never evil!
     Third, one of these young ladies is talented, smart, has a beautiful voice and has all the riches in the world. Not sure what Miley has going for her! She does not appear to be very smart, her voice is okay, and yes, she has a lot of money... but when all is said and done, she does not appear to have any of the riches that really matter. As for talent, I am not sure that shaking your rear end in some man's lap really counts.
    Who knows why Miley Cyrus does the things that she does in her life. Frankly, who cares? I hope that she figures out what is... and what is not important... and straightens out her life.
     If she doesn't, God help her.
     Here is what I do know: Grace is a growing up to be a beautiful, decent human being. She is funny. She is smart. She is respectful of others and of her parents. Most importantly, she is respectful of herself.
     There may not be millions of young girls looking up to Grace, aspiring to be just like her. But I do know this... based on the alternative... we'd all be better off if there were.
       Part of what I wrote in the first few paragraphs is true. I did turn off the radio and hum Gracie's songs that were rattling around in my head. Sometimes I even sang them to myself just like I used to do when I was rocking Gracie to sleep.
    Oh, the Cannibal King with the big nose ring
    Fell in love with the dusty maaaid 
    And every night in the pale moonlight
    Across the river he'd waaade
    He hugged and he kissed
    His pretty little miss
    In the shade of the bamboo treeeee
    And every night in the pale moonlight
    It sounded like this to meeee
    Harummph kiss kiss, Harummph kiss kiss
    Harummph diddly yaddy yay!
    Harummph kiss kiss, Harummph kiss kiss
    Under the bamboo tree! 

    Gracie, you are the best... the B E S T... best.
    I love you... Happy Birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails