November

Matthew 13.
Hindsight is 2020.

Friday, December 20, 2013

Funny Guy Friday... Through the eyes of a child...

     Funny Guy Friday is written each week by my husband Mark. So, I married a funny guy...
     I have often said that if people knew how goofy I acted in my every day life, they would never trust me with legal decisions that could affect them for the rest of their lives. This may explain why nobody who reads these Friday posts on a regular basis has ever retained me.
     I don't think that I am goofy in a stupid way, I just think that I still act like a kid... and that's not a bad thing... especially at this time of year.
     Ah Christmas.
     I love everything about Christmas.
     I love putting up lights, picking out the tree and decorating it, and shopping for gifts... most of the time (by the way, if anyone has any ideas for what to get Cheryl, please pass them along). I love giving gifts, receiving gifts, going to church, and being with family.
     I like to think that I see Christmas through the eyes of a child.
     All of my kids enjoy the Christmas season, but as they get older, only one wants to be by my side through it all.
     My little man, Noah.
     Noah is with me every step of the way. He loves every Christmas tradition, whether putting up the lights, decorating the tree, or shopping for his brother and sister, Noah goes at it with great gusto. What a wonderful little companion.
     Last night was a perfect example. We went to Annapolis Mall to have the kids' picture taken with Santa. Not one of the "Santa helpers" that you see in other malls, but the real life Santa from the North Pole. Grace is seventeen and all of her Christmas photos are with this guy.
     Noah showed up wearing his Santa hat, which is kind of a big deal because he is very proud of his sweet 'do! Noah gives this whole Santa visit thing careful consideration.
     In years' past the kids would discuss what they were going to ask Santa to bring. Unfortunately, one year, Noah choked and instead of asking for the stuff he wanted, he asked for the stuff that Matthew had mentioned in the car. This created two dilemmas: Noah was going to get stuck with a bunch of stuff he never really wanted, and Matthew was left with no new ideas of what to request. I think he asked for clothes. Seriously, what kid wants clothes for Christmas?
     As I recall, Santa was able to sort out all the confusion.
     This year, after mulling it over for days, Noah decided to ask Santa to surprise him. This did not give much guidance to those of us that also have to get him a present, but once again, I am sure that at least Santa will come through.
     After the photos, we broke off into smaller groups. I was paired with Noah, and our first stop was the Godiva Chocolate Store. I don't like chocolate so there was very little for me to sample, but Noah had a suggestion.
     Hey Dad, they have milkshakes. 
     Knowing full well that he was less concerned about my potential milk shake than he was about his own, I commented that I don't like chocolate, so there is nothing really here for me.
     They have a white chocolate shake with strawberry ice cream. You would like that. That would be a nice Christmas treat! 
     Well played young man... I would like that, but you do know that Mom would not approve of a milkshake.
     That is why I came with you! Blink, blink... smile!
     You are good. One white chocolate shake with strawberry ice cream to go please. 
     Two hours later, after hunting down all of his gifts, we headed home to make meatballs for our upcoming family Christmas dinner this Sunday. Cheryl and the two older kids were still out shopping so it was just my mother, Noah and I. Of course, we broke down into teams of meatball makers.
     Noah and Grandma versus me.
     Yes, meatball making is a sport, and it comes with trash talk. I got things started...
     Mine are perfectly round balls. Yours are meat blobs. 
     I have Grandma on my side. Ours are better.
     Grandma is old, she has lost it. There is a new chef in town! This was directed at Noah since Grandma is still working out the kinks in her new hearing aids.
     You only made 12 while we made 64! Old Man! 
     I had to figure out how to turn on the oven and that took some time... besides, it's quality versus quantity!
     I don't know what that means... but I have Grandma on my team!  
     The whole Grandma thing gave Noah great confidence. I'm not exactly sure why because when I asked her how long the meatballs had to cook, she could only give me vague guidance: They will turn brown! 
     After we threw the meatballs in the oven we snuggled in to watch Elf. We try to watch a movie every night as Christmas approaches.
     When I got up to check the meatballs, I yelled into the TV room that my meatballs were fine, but their meat blobs had burned.
     In a panic, my mom came rushing into the kitchen, as Noah remained on the couch with his feet crossed on the coffee table and his hands behind his head. Without missing a beat, Noah asked Grandma... How long have you known him? Fifty years? You know he is lying. Our meat balls didn't burn.  
     Back to the movie. So there we were... Grandma and I snoring on either side of poor Noah, who watched to the bitter end. Cheryl and the kids bounced through the door as the credits began to roll and woke us all up.
     Time for bed, but before we could call it a day, we had to gather 'round and read Benjamin Bear. We read one chapter of this storybook a night during Advent. Noah insists on it, and each night provides a new message as we anticipate the birth of Christ.
     Reading that book right before bed is one of our favorite family traditions.
     What a day!
     I wish that I could go back and be ten years old again, and experience the Christmas season as a young boy. Unfortunately, I cannot... no more than Noah can stay frozen in today. I wish he could, and I often tell him that if he stops growing, I promise to take care of him for the rest of his life.
     Ironically, he never takes me up on my offer because he thinks getting old is a good thing.
     I suppose the best that I can do is to continue to act like a kid and hope that none of my clients ever see me.
     May you and your family have a blessed Christmas... and may you always see the wonder of the entire season through the eyes of a child!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails