November

Matthew 13.
Hindsight is 2020.

Friday, June 13, 2014

Funny Guy Friday... Party rehash...

    Funny Guy Friday is written each week by my husband Mark. So, I married a funny guy...
    Well, we had over one hundred people show up for Gracie's graduation party. Not to toot my own horn, but I threw THE....BEST....PARTY....EVER! Don't get me wrong, Cheryl did some stuff too...but it was mostly me!
    Gracie's only regret about the party was that she did not get a chance to speak to everyone. I told her that was no big deal...I didn't talk to anyone at my wedding. I mean, I wandered around the reception and said hello, but I did not really talk to anyone. People are happy to get a hello, drop off a gift and grab some free food and a beer.
    Besides, Gracie can rest easy because I spoke to everyone at the graduation party.
    We have a pretty good formula for parties at our house.
    We cook a turkey and then get my mother to make meatballs, rigatoni and potato salad. My brother-in-law gets the beer...always too much beer, but we never run out...and then Cheryl spends most of the party refilling the empty food trays. I have the most important role in the whole process...I meet and greet our guests. Entertaining all these people can get exhausting. And it is tiresome having to answer all those questions...Where is Cheryl? Is Cheryl ever getting out of the kitchen? Wow, does Cheryl always work this hard? 
    Cheryl is in the kitchen....Probably won't get out of the kitchen....No, she does not typically work this hard. Now stop asking me the same silly questions, and I will show you where we keep the drinks!
    For whatever reason, Cheryl decided that we should have this party catered.
    I reluctantly agreed, thinking that my mother may need a break from all that cooking. We contacted Cheryl's brother's girlfriend who caters parties all the time. We went with a Hawaiian Luau theme. This included chicken teriyaki on a stick, BBQ with slaw, roasted vegetables, sweet potato fries, Hawaiian rice, fruit kabobs, and a variety of desserts.
    Nothing quite as good as my mother's meatballs, but it was all very yummy!
    So, as it turns out...my idea to have the party catered was a stroke of genius. The only thing we had to do was keep the coolers filled with ice, empty the trash cans and make sure that the kids did not lose the bean bags from the corn hole game.
    We had corn hole (professionally painted by Noah) and a frisbee game called Can Jam set up in the backyard. Both games were a great success, with one ugly exception.
     It all started when my nephew, Daniel, paired up with his fiancée, Kelsie, in a game of corn hole against Matthew and his friend, Tommy. With Daniel and Kelsie ahead 21-18, Tommy had the last toss. Kelsie had one last opportunity to clinch the victory...all she had to do was get one bag on the board for one point, thus making it impossible for Tommy to get the tie with a 3-point toss into the hole. Kelsie failed to make the shot and Daniel warned...If Tommy gets this in the hole, the wedding is off!
    Disturbing indeed...not the fact that he threatened to call off the wedding over his fiancée's lack of execution during corn hole. I actually admire his competitive spirit. No, what is disturbing is that he might be marrying a girl that can't handle pressure. For goodness sake, all she had to do was get one bag on the board!
    For those that care...Tommy choked, and the wedding is still on.  Good for Daniel and Kelsie...I guess! Unfortunately, I think Tommy and Matthew did break up.
    Now back to the party...
    Whenever one of my nieces or nephews graduated from high school, I took it upon myself to make a video chronicling important events of their lives. For instance, when my nephew Jonathan graduated, I told the story about the time his parents attempted to abandon him and join vaudeville as a magic act. Or, how Daniel was the only boy at an all girls' school. Or, how my nephew Joseph lost everything that was important to him...to the DeMatha Stag mascot.
    Okay, full disclosure...none of those things really happened...except, of course, in my videos. As the writer, producer and director, I tend to have creative license! I mocked them, I mocked their siblings, and I mocked their parents.
    So, how could I do such creative investigative reporting for my nieces and nephews but not for my own daughter?
    After visits to Gracie's elementary school, middle school, high school, and home school, it became clear that her former teachers barely remembered having Grace in their class. But, it turns out, and this even was a surprise to me...I was kind of a big deal at all of Gracie's schools.
    We had a great time catching up with and interviewing former teachers. And for those teachers that we could not catch up with, we found "suitable" replacements. They all willingly took time out of their day to participate in my little reindeer games.
   If you are reading this Debbie Kucevich, Margie Cavanaugh, and Leigh Hampton...thank you very much. And to the fake señora DiGiussepe...gracias and good luck with those immigration issues. The video was a big hit!
   By this time you may have guessed, I did not mock myself one little bit! Remember? Writer, producer, and director? Hello!
   Gracie had a great day. She had an opportunity to spend the day with friends and family that have meant so much to her over the years. Cheryl asked that people write letters to Grace for a keepsake book she will assemble this summer. The letters were moving and told the story of how a beautiful little girl grew up to be a lovely young lady. This is hard for me to say, but it turns out that it is Gracie that is kind of a big deal!
   We love you Gracie girl and cannot wait to see what God has in store for you!  And guess what...in four years, I get to throw another rockin' graduation party.
   In the meantime, Gracie, please do me a favor: don't go to any other parties while you are in college. They will not be fun... and they will only pale in comparison to the ones that I throw!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails