November

Matthew 13.
Hindsight is 2020.

Friday, September 10, 2010

Funny Guy Friday... Welcome Adrian...

     Our Spanish exchange student arrived last Thursday and as usual, Cheryl was correct. God has gotten it exactly right. This boy is a perfect fit for our family, and he seems to be having a great time. His name is Adrian. Ah-drrree-ahn.
     I was disappointed by the pronunciation of his name because I had great nicknames picked out for him. Like, A-train, or A-bomb, or just plain A. Unfortunately, the only thing I can think of for Ah- is Ah-choo... and that's a stupid nickname. Perhaps Sneezy would work. 
     Fresh off the bus from the airport, we immediately learned that he writes English better than he speaks English. He had written some e-mails before he came and they were easily understood. Such was not the case when he spoke to us off of the bus. But he was eager to greet us, and enthusiastically kissed us all on both cheeks... very European. I am not sure that I like European.
     When we got to our house, he jumped at the chance to have a ham sandwich. He has since told us that on that first night, all he heard was blah blah blah blah blah blah sandwich blah blah blah. It was the only word he understood, but he was hungry so he said, "Si," which was the only word we understood.
     At that point we were probably talking a bit too fast, but we have since slowed down and our communications have improved. In fact, in only seven days, his English has improved dramatically.
     Much of the improvement is directly attributable to the efforts of Cheryl. With that being said, Adrian and Cheryl have provided me the material for this week's FGF.
     Their communications go something like this...
     Cheryl will ask, "Do you like to sit in the sun?" Adrian looks at her with a puzzled look on his face. This prompts Cheryl to yell, "DO... YOU... LIKE... TO... SIT... IN... THE... SUN?" This prompts Adrian to cock his head like a puzzled dog gazing quizically at its master... not sure if he is in trouble or if he is about to get a treat.
     You know, I would have bet money that if you yell a phrase in English, it would be more understandable than if you say a phrase in English, or if you speak English with a Spanish accent, it will somehow get through. It doesn't.
     Now things get more interesting. Cheryl will break into a game of charades with the boy. She waves her arms and shakes and shimmies. She continues to yell the words as she goes through these girations. She reminds me of a very loud, very deranged hula dancer.
     Undaunted by the communication gap, Cheryl has attempted to explain politics to Adrian. I would stop her, but he seems genuinely interested in our political system. The conversation prompts our three English speaking kids' eyes to glaze over, and drool to come out of their mouths. But the two press on.
     Cheryl must have been succesful in explaing the political system because Adrien has told my Spanish speaking brother that he is unsure if he should tell her how he feels about some of the political issues, so as not to upset her. Wow, he can spot a crazy right-winger all the way from Spain.  
     Adrian's lack of understanding has brought out the best in Cheryl, and the worst in me. About a month ago, I bought English muffins that were half price. Unbeknownst to me, they were not the regular kind that I like, but instead were honey-wheat... yuck. They have since sat in the freezer. When Cheryl asked if he would like to try an English muffin for his first breakfast in America, I immediately blurted out, "Give him the kind that I don't like. Let's get rid of those."
     As Cheryl glared at me, disgusted by my request, I stated the obvious, "What? He can't understand me, and he has never had the good ones before." Classic no harm, no foul.
     In the short time that he has been here, Adrian has visited Annapolis, gone to a high school football game, eaten Maryland crabs, was treated by our friends at a Spanish restaurant, partied with both the Spanish and American students, toured Washington, D.C., attended a Labor Day picnic at out Church and received a guided tour of the historic grounds from our priest. He even got to go into the priest's home, which I always thought was like Batman's secret cave.
     Adrian takes great interest in everything that he does. This makes me think of two things. First, that there is so much to do and see in this area, let alone this country... And second, my kids aren't so hot... they don't do much. Perhaps like all of us, they take for granted all the things that we have in this great country.

     As I watch Cheryl talk with him, I can't help but notice the great care that she takes in making sure that she understands him and that he understands her. It is easy to give up and move on, but she lovingly persists.  
     It reminds me of the times when our kids were young and learning to speak, and she would spend hours trying to understand what they were saying. She would never give up and would always encourage them to tell her things in different ways so she could know exactly what they were trying to say. It did not matter how trivial the matter was or how long it took. She lovingly persisted.
     When we agreed to take an exchange student, Cheryl boldly predicted that God would either give us exactly what we need, or He would give the student exactly what he needs. God has done both.
     As for me... I watch Cheryl with Adrian, and it also reminds me that I have married the most faithful, the most patient, caring and lovely person that I know. This young man has been in our home for seven days and he treats Cheryl as if she is his mother. His goodnight kisses seem perfectly normal.
     He has already figured out what our family already knows... that she is the most positive influence that a person could have in their life. I often say that Cheryl is the nicest person that God has ever put on this earth.
     Today is her birthday.
     Happy birthday.
     I love you and thank God every day that you are part of my life.

3 comments:

  1. Mark.....this has to be my FAVORITE funny guy posting so far : ) Made me laugh and cry! Cheryl is a gem - make sure you treat her like a queen today! Happy Birthday Chech. Love you, Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you honey... or should I say, "Sensitive Guy"...
    I love you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Cheryl! I'm sorry I missed you and your beautiful family (+ 1 exchange student) at the festival :) Once again, your "funny guy" made me smile!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails