November

Matthew 13.
Hindsight is 2020.

Friday, December 24, 2010

Funny Guy Friday... The Greatest Christmas Gift Ever...

    I must admit that I have had very little time to think about writing a FGF this week.  Unfortunately, the everyday things do not stop just because Christmas is around the corner. Since I am a bit pressed for time, I thought that I would retell a story that I have told several times about the greatest Christmas gift ever given.
    About five years ago, Matthew and I went out to buy a gift for Cheryl. I had planned on buying her a pearl bracelet, so our first stop was a jewelry store owned by a woman that we knew through some friends. Matthew was very specific about what he wanted to get his mother--- a piece of jewelry that had three hearts on it, the three hearts representing the three kids. Very thoughtful. Even more so, considering that I wanted to get her a pearl bracelet because I had no clue what to buy her, and since I had bought her a pearl necklace the year before, this was as good as anything.
    When we got to the store, I got the bracelet and one other smaller piece of jewelry, and then Matthew began his search for the perfect gift. He told the woman what he wanted and she showed him a nice ring that had three hearts. Very nice and very much within budget.
     He seemed to like it, but then she showed him a very beautiful necklace that had three hearts, each inside of the other. Two were formed from small diamonds and one was made from red rubies. Think of the Grinch's heart as it grows. Wow, he loved it and knew that this was the one. I must admit, I loved it too, but thought this may be out of our price range. I asked how much this necklace cost, and let's just say that if the ring was in our price range, the necklace was ten times over our price range.
     I politely told the woman that this was a bit more than my five year old (and his dad) wanted to spend. At this point, Matthew asked if he could talk to me. For some reason, he always starts off every comment to me by saying, "Dad," even if we are the only two in the room. "Dad, can I talk to you for a second?" Sure, no problem. "No, dad, I need to talk to you in private." We walked over to a corner of the store and he told  me that he really, really, really wanted to buy that necklace. I explained to him that it was really, really, really, really over the budget (I threw in an extra really). The owner of the store was amused by the exchange. We settled on the ring.
     Matthew was very disappointed, so I thought a trip to the ice cream parlor was warranted, but after ten minutes of his moping, I had had enough. It was time for him to get over it. Although he got more and more upset about the situation, he told me he had to get all of his disappointment out before we went home because he did not want his mother asking him what was wrong.
     I again explained that it was a lot of money and that since we planned to go skiing for a week, money was tight. At this point, I realized two things: one... I was negotiating with a very cute, lovable terrorist; and two... I was going to go back to the store to see if they could hold the necklace until after the holidays, perhaps for an anniversary gift in April. I explained my plan to Matthew, but he was still not moved and wondered out loud why HE would buy an anniversary gift for MY wife. He had no problem with ME buying a Christmas gift for HIS mother, but I digress.
   I went back into the store and asked if she could hold the necklace and she told me that she could not. She mentioned how cute she thought our "man to man" talk was, but apparently,  not cute enough for her to hold the necklace for three or four months. I understood and I told her that she only saw part of Matthew's act because even Coldstone Creamery was not cheering my boy up.
   A few days later, I went back to the store to pick up the three items that we purchased and when I did, she handed me a bag with four items. I told the woman that there was a mistake and that I only got three pieces of jewelry. She told me that she was so impressed and moved by Matthew's reaction that she included the necklace, and that I could come back and pay for it whenever I got the chance... and whenever I got the money. What a great gesture and it only came with one small catch... I had to promise to come back and tell her about Matthew's reaction. She was so moved by the things that Matthew had said, and how much he wanted to get that necklace for his mom that she had to know "the rest of the story."
     I thanked her and told her how excited Matthew would be and as we talked, I decided that I would not tell him and just let him be surprised on Christmas morning. I put the necklace in the corner behind the tree where it went unnoticed. On Christmas morning, typically Cheryl  opens her gifts last, and so, after she was done opening all of her gifts, I told Matthew that there might be one more gift for mom. I asked him to grab it and to stand by her as she opened it up.
     When she opened the box, she was very impressed as she placed the necklace around her neck. Her reaction, however, was nothing compared to Matthew's. His eyes lit up, and got as big as saucers, and he immediately ran over to me and jumped into my arms and just kept saying "Thank You, Dad. Thank You so much, Dad."
     Later I told Cheryl the story and told her if she did not like it, we could take it back. She looked at me like I was crazy because she loved it and after Matthew's reaction, she did not care if it cost a million dollars, it was not going back. By the way, the necklace was just shy of a million. 
     The greatest gift ever given was not the necklace that Matthew gave to his mom. As nice as that was, it was a distant second. The greatest Christmas gift ever given was the gift that Matthew gave to his dad. Thank you Matthew, Thank you so much Matthew!
     Have a very Merry and Blessed Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails