November

Matthew 13.
Hindsight is 2020.

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Birdwatching... Catch the fever!

     Okay... so I never thought this would be me. But I am hooked. I have fallen in love with birdwatching, and boy, what a buffet that visits me each day.
     I consult my Reader's Digest, North American Wildlife guide to see what's what (I ordered mine at Amazon for less).
     So far, in just the past few days, I've seen cardinals (I've grown to appreciate the subtle beauty of the khaki-colored females), blue jays, robins, white-throated sparrows (these look like chipmunks, with their black and white striped heads), house sparrows (or english sparrows, as they are called), black-capped chickadees, common grackles (gorgeous, fairly large, black and irridescent purple and green birds resembling the brewer's blackbird), dark-eyed juncos (very small, sweet little things), eastern towhees (black headed birds with burnt orange sides and white-edged tails), and of course, the mourning dove.
     This is a very exciting new pasttime for me. I put some seed out so I can study them as they eat. Each time I look outside is a surprise.
     If you live in Maryland, be on the lookout for these and more. I can't believe I wasn't paying attention all these years. And to think spring isn't even here yet.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails