November

Matthew 13.
Hindsight is 2020.

Friday, July 25, 2014

Funny Guy Friday... Mickey and Minnie...

     Funny Guy Friday is written each week by my husband Mark. So, I married a funny guy...
     This past week, Cheryl and I were driving down the road with Noah in the back seat.
     We started to talk about one of those silly quizzes that people post on facebook: What Disney Couple Are You and Your Significant Other?
     Clearly, we are Mickey and Minnie because we have kind of an old fashioned love affair... and Cheryl always wears a silly red bow in her hair with some honking big white mittens. And Mickey is kind of a jolly, benevolent leader of his Disney family... much like yours truly.
     We really did not need to take the test to confirm what we already knew, but just for fun, we asked Noah to answer the questions that would lead to an inevitable conclusion.
     I specifically asked Noah to answer the questions as he would answer them and not what he thinks Cheryl or I would answer. Armed with these instructions, Noah went about his business. For the most part, he took his time and was thoughtful in his answers. Then he reached the following question:
When you fight... you...
     -Don't Talk
     -Debate Fiercely 
     -Take turns talking
     -Just work it out
     -Try to see the other's point of view
     -Quickly forget about what you were fighting about
     -Yell
     The answer was simple... we rarely fight.
     I mean, it is not as if we never argue, but it is pretty rare. Noah, however, had a different opinion... he shouted out: Debate Fiercely!   
     What! No way. We don't debate fiercely. Where do you get that from? I love your mother more than anything, and on those rare occasions that we disagree... we do not debate fiercely! 
     I all but called him stupid.   
     Cheryl piped up: Honey... I think you are debating fiercely. 
     Then I got to thinking about it... and I got really mad at Cheryl. I wanted to lay into her like a windmill in a tornado. Little Noah's misperception was all her fault.
     Cheryl may disagree with me about this... and if she does, she can get her own blog. What's that? This is her blog. Then she needs to be funnier so people read what she writes!
     Anyway, when we do argue, it is because Cheryl thinks that she is right, when in fact, I am right. That simple fact tells you all you need to know.
     Fine... sometimes I am the one who is wrong, and I am the one who starts the argument, but we don't really ever Debate Fiercely. I know people who debate fiercely! I represent people who debate fiercely! Cheryl and I are not those people. How is it possible for Noah to be so wrong?
     Is it possible that this is what he sees when Cheryl and I have a disagreement?
     Noah's answer really bothered me, so I decided right then and there that I was never going to argue with Cheryl in front of the kids ever again. I just don't want them to have a negative image of their mother!
     Later in the week, my peace pledge was put to the test when I may have inadvertently pointed out a teeny weeny little defect about the cleanliness of our room. Cheryl correctly observed that I could have married a lot of other women! You didn't have to marry me! 
     Yes, this is true, but I picked you... despite your laundry shortcomings. I said it with a smile, in an effort to avoid any further bloodshed!
     Cheryl persisted: You have the same DNA as your brothers, perhaps you would have been happier had you married one of their wives. 
     But I picked you... you are the only one for me. With that being said, is it possible to open up the list of potential candidates to replace you beyond my three sisters-in-law? Can we at least include a few of the Sports Illustrated swim suit models. They don't seem to wear much, so laundry will be less of a problem... assuming that they, like you, don't like to do laundry. 
     This witty exchange was lost on Cheryl, who appeared bored, but I could sense she really wanted to escalate things.  
     You go ahead and try to find a replacement model for me, see how that goes for you.
     So we are expanding the field to include models? Now we are talking.
     Whatever you want, honey. 
     I don't think that she really meant that I could pick anyone I wanted. She was being sarcastic. You can see what I am dealing with... can't you?
     Anyway, when all was said and done, we did get Mickey and Minnie. Fits us perfectly... just an old fashioned love affair!
     I would not change a thing... except maybe for how we fight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails