November

Matthew 13.
Hindsight is 2020.

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Bartimaeus's expectant faith... Meditation...

Today's Gospel...  Mark 10:46-52...
     As Jesus was leaving Jericho with his disciples and a sizable crowd, Bartimaeus, a blind man, the son of Timaeus, sat by the roadside begging. On hearing that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out and say, “Jesus, son of David, have pity on me.” And many rebuked him, telling him to be silent. But he kept calling out all the more, “Son of David, have pity on me.” 
     Jesus stopped and said, “Call him.” So they called the blind man, saying to him, “Take courage; get up, Jesus is calling you.” He threw aside his cloak, sprang up, and came to Jesus. Jesus said to him in reply, “What do you want me to do for you?” The blind man replied to him, “Master, I want to see.” Jesus told him, “Go your way; your faith has saved you.” Immediately he received his sight and followed him on the way.


    I once heard someone speak about this passage... and although I can't remember who it was, I do remember him focusing on the cloak. In reflecting on that, I am struck by three things... Bartimaeus's faith... his willingness to abandon everything in hope... and his confidence. All three can be summed up in one term... expectant faith. And the cloak is the key.  
     Bartimaeus was a blind beggar. He was probably considered to be the lowest of the lowly of the day... yet, he was persistent in calling out to Jesus. And when those around him tried to discourage him, he called out all the more. By referring to Jesus as Son of David, Bartimaeus surely knew the messianic majesty of this Man, Jesus. He kept on... this was his chance.  
     Imagine how chaotic that scene must have been for a man who couldn't see what was happening. Even if Bartimaeus had any doubts that Jesus would hear him, he was still faithful in calling out. His heart, with its yearning, was fixed on the Lord... even though he couldn't see Him.
      Jesus instructed the once-naysaying bystanders to call him, so they said, "Take courage; get up, Jesus is calling you." When Bartimaeus heard this, "he flung off his cloak, sprang up, and came to Jesus."  
     Being a blind beggar, he must have considered his cloak to be pretty important to him. It probably held in its pockets what few possessions he may have had. It was probably the only shelter he could rely on. And yet, he flung it aside... without a second thought... abandoning the one thing he desperately needed, for the Person he needed even more.
     When Jesus asked Bartimaeus what he wanted Him to do for him... Bartimaeus replied directly, and with confidence, "Master, I want to see." Bartimaeus must have thought that his plea would be granted. After all... remember?... the cloak?... just laying there in the road... discarded. 
     Am I not a blind beggar, too? Calling out for Jesus to provide for me each day... in an often chaotic and confusing world? Am I like Bartimaeus... with courage to get up... because He is calling me?
    Dear Lord... Help me to be persistent in my faith. Help me to cast off those things I have an attachment to, knowing that You will fulfill all my needs. And, Lord, help me to make my petitions, in faith, with confidence and expectation. I, too, want to see. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails