November

Matthew 13.
Hindsight is 2020.

Sunday, June 20, 2010

A tale of three dads...

     This weekend, my sister and her family were in from the west coast, so we went to Ocean City. We had just one full day, so we pretty much spent it seaside. My parents and my brother even drove over so we could spend some relaxing time together in one of our favorite settings... the beach.
     For me, the beach is so many things. Beauty. Serenity. The power of God. Oh... and good clean fun for the kids.
     And as I watched my children playing in the surf, I thought back to when I was a child at the beach. Aside from the peanut butter sandwiches and the sandy lemonade, the thing I remember most is that my dad was always in the water
     And not just for his own sake... to cool off, or whatever... but for our sake. I know that now.
     We wanted to play with him... he was there. We wanted to learn how to float... he was the best. Bodysurfing... sure thing. And no one was better at picking us up and throwing us through the air into a big splash than my dad. Over and over. Time after time.
     My husband says his dad was just like that when he was a kid. Always in the water with the kids. Putting his wants aside for his kids. 
     Maybe it's a dad thing. Maybe it's a loving dad thing.
     So there I was today... all grown up, with children of my own... watching my husband playing with them. And I thank God for him, who loves them more than words can say. 
     And as I sat there on the sand, watching Mark in the water... riding waves and tossing kids... I could see, so clearly, his love for them. Especially when I knew he would have loved to have been napping in the sunshine. The thing is... he loves our kids more. 
     Oh, it's definitely a loving dad thing.
     Yes... a tale of three dads. Three loving dads. Thank you for all you have done for your children. I love you. Happy Father's Day.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails