November

Matthew 13.
Hindsight is 2020.

Friday, August 26, 2011

Funny Guy Friday....What could possibly go wrong...

    Grace's birthday is this week and Cheryl and I bought her four tickets to a concert---Train and Maroon 5. Cool gift because I am a cool Dad---that is how I roll. Actually, I had no idea who Train or Maroon 5 were and so I got my nephew's fiance to take them.
    Anyway, we got the tickets four months ago and it is the perfect gift. Problem----the concert was on a Wednesday night, and Cheryl had planned to leave for Newport, Rhode Island to visit her parents on Monday of that same week. No problem, I would stay with Grace and she and I would fly up on Thursday. Problem resolved. Perhaps I am the best dad ever. Anything for my baby girl. This was going to be great. What could go wrong?
    Grace invited her friends and all was good in the world. Problem----one of her friends could not go. Grace's solution was to invite her cousin and great friend Katherine to the fun. Problem resolved---sort of.
    Problem----Katherine lives in Houston. I contacted my sister and botta-bing, botta-bang, botta-boom! we had her booked on a flight to Baltimore on Monday and then on our flight to Newport on Thursday. I am a true double threat, a great dad and a great uncle. Despite the temporary setback, I was keeping it all together and nothing more could possibly go wrong.
     Cheryl left for Newport early Monday afternoon and my plans for my wonderful daughter and niece were progressing nicely. Problem----Monday afternoon, I received a call from my sister advising that Katherine could not fly on that particular airline because she was under 18. This was bad news but a mere bump in the road. We were going to get Katherine here if it killed me. My sister generously resolved that problem by cashing in a free ticket for a later flight on a different airline. Problem resolved. Now we were cooking with oil and all was good in the world.
    Katherine's flight did not get into Baltimore until almost midnight on Monday so I let the girls sleep in on Tuesday. I felt bad that they would be home alone all day, but what could go wrong, they are both responsible girls. I still felt good about the week and was proud of how well we had all handled all of the different issues that arose in the past two days. Problem----I got back to my office at about 1:30---just in time for the EARTHQUAKE! That's right, I said EARTHQUAKE!
   On my way out of our building, I saw that Grace was trying to call me but I could not get a cell phone connection. What good are cell phones if they do not work during an emergency?  Seriously, there I was with all of my 4Gs but I could not get a call to go through. I was reduced to trying a land line. How Stone Age can you get? Still no luck. Grace was home with my niece and Cheryl was in New Jersey. I left work and drove home worried about all the people I could not get in touch with.
   I got home and I calmed whatever fears that Grace and Katherine may have had. It was really no big deal, I just stopped the world from shaking. I did a quick inspection of the house and all was good. Problem solved. Great dad and now a super hero.
   Wednesday was concert day and the plan was for me to leave work early to take the girls to dinner before the concert. Problem----my secretary scheduled an appointment at 4:00 p.m. with one of my most difficult clients. Being a great dad but kind of a cowardly boss, I made my secretary call and cancel the appointment. He was not happy, but I was not missing this dinner. Problem solved but we did get to the restaurant late.
    The girls ate and left for the concert while I stayed to pay the bill. Not a problem but kind of depressing seeing your baby girl happily leaving you to go with her friends to see a concert while you sit alone in a big booth waiting to pay the bill. She is growing up and I am the one getting old. I guess that is a problem but there is no solution. I digress.
   Well, I am happy to report that the concert was a big hit. The girls had a great time and arrived home ready to catch a plane to Newport the next morning. This was to be the first time that we have gotten away this summer for a vacation and we had the added bonus of having our niece with us. I was sure that we were going to have a great time. No more problems just a relaxing vacation.
    What's that? No my niece is named Katherine, not Irene. I don't even know anybody named Irene, and I certainly do not have plans on taking this Irene girl to the great Ocean State of Rhode Island with us. I mean if we cross paths with this Irene, I will say hello but she is not coming with us---getting to Rhode Island is her problem, not mine. I am done with problems. Like I said, we plan on having a nice relaxing vacation. 
    What could possibly go wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails