November

Matthew 13.
Hindsight is 2020.

Monday, January 26, 2015

Revisiting Wildflowers and Marbles...

     If you've never visited the blog, Wildflowers and Marbles, you will want to check it out when you get a minute (or a few hours).  So much wonderful information about the "gentle art of learning," in the Charlotte Mason tradition.
     There was a time when I thought I could never have taught my children at home.  Then, after about a year and a half of praying in adoration every Sunday morning, I knew this was what I was supposed to do. That was about four years ago. So, when my three kids started tenth, sixth, and second grades, I was their teacher.  I never looked back.
     Before I began, though, I searched the internet and the library for sources and ideas to help me with a task I, quite honestly, didn't really know how to do.
     One of my very favorite discoveries was Wildflowers and Marbles.  I used to go there practically daily, but teaching three kids at completely different stages commanded so much of my time that over time, I visited there less and less.
     So now, two out of three of my children are learning, for the most part, out of the house... my daughter at a university, and my son at a Catholic high school.... so that leaves my youngest, now a fifth grader.  Anyway, I have a little more time to read then I did before.
     That brings me back to Wildflowers.
     Still. love. that. blog.
     The blogger, Jennifer Mackintosh, shares her lists and ideas there.  One of her ideas I've borrowed along the way is what's called the Morning Basket. Because the lessons and stories have no age limit, the Morning Basket is ideal for teaching all of your children together.

     Here is a link to her most recent Morning Basket post... but don't stop there... click around.  You will love it all! And her ideas work for her, but you could modify it for your family.  Maybe even create an evening basket to use at or after the dinner hour... or at bedtime.  This for me was called Tea Time, and we used it in the afternoon because my kids all got up at different times according to their natural rhythms.  That's the beauty of this: make it your own.

     One book Jennifer uses in her Morning Basket is The Catechism in Examples, by the Rev. D. Chisholm, in five volumes.  I have provided the links to the ebooks right here:

Volume One  Faith: The Creed

Volume Two  Hope: Prayer

Volume Three  The Commandments

Volume Four  Grace: The Sacraments

Volume Five  Virtues and Vices

     I love the quiet of this time of year.  It is now that I can regroup and freshen things up where I need to.  This is definitely an area of my day where I can add in some new things.  If you have never used a Morning Basket in your homeschooling day... it's never too late.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails