November

Matthew 13.
Hindsight is 2020.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Commit to change... Family time right before bed...

     Each week I will be making little changes for my life, that I hope and plan will become new habits. And at the end of the year, where there was once chaos, there the Lord will be.
     I am... I can... I ought... I will.
     So, last week I committed to keeping a clean kitchen, and for the most part, I did. The weekend brought some disarray, but isn't that why God created Mondays? To reset?
     I asked my family to get in on the commit to change game, and pick something they would also like to change for the week and beyond. I suggested posting it, if necessary, on the bathroom mirror as a reminder. Simple things like, "Turn off the light when you leave a room," or, "Hang up your jacket," or, "Put your keys in the same place each day." Simple changes can make a big difference.
     Matthew thoughtfully announced that he would be sure to put his shoes in the front hall closet upon entering the house, instead of kicking them off all over the front hall. That's the spirit.
     Funny Guy said his change would be to have me iron all five of his shirts for the week on Sunday night, so he wouldn't be scrambling every morning. Good one, honey.
     As for Gracie and Noah... Gracie announced that she would opt for wearing her hair curly this week, as a change from her usual straight. And Noah, my six-year-old, thought he would change it up this week by starting each day with a steamy cup of joe.
     So maybe they didn't quite get what I was after. Or maybe they just take after Funny Guy.
     My change this week involves the whole family. Each night before bed, we will gather in our family room, as we did last night, and laugh and play and talk before going off to bed. Let that be the last thing we do each day. Unrushed. Happy. Together.
     Last night before bed, Funny Guy ironed a shirt for himself.
     As for everyone else... This morning, I found sneakers in the front hall. Gracie's hair is curled, and Noah asked for some coffee for breakfast. Maybe tonight, during our family time, I will go over this commit to change thing one more time.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails