November

Matthew 13.
Hindsight is 2020.

Friday, May 1, 2015

Funny Guy Friday... Happy Anniversary...

     Funny Guy Friday is written each week by my husband Mark. So, I married a funny guy...
     I had forgotten all about it, but Cheryl reminded me.
     It's easy to forget about anniversaries when you get bogged down with day-to-day events. You start running kids to games, doing household chores, going to meetings, and attending school functions and the days slip by.
     But you would think that something that I love... and frankly work hard at every week.... would never be forgotten.
     There were no gifts exchanged, no special dinners. In fact, Cheryl and I barely saw each other on this special occasion.
     I am about to share something that I have never told anyone before...
     When this whole thing started, neither Cheryl nor I could have ever dreamed it would last this long. Like many relationships, it started out with a blaze. It was easy. It was fun. It was exciting. Both of us would agree that I did most of the work, but we loved working together, side by side, building something that would last.
     For a while, we did grow closer and closer with each and every collaboration.
     But like most things, the newness wore off.
     There were weeks when it seemed to be more of a burden than it was worth. This may come as a shock but this is cathartic for me to finally write this and put it out in the open... there were some days that we even discussed calling it quits.
     As God is my witness, this is true!
     I would get frustrated and Cheryl seemed more than willing to give it all up.
     The thing that always kept us going was the kids.
     We both agreed that we had to set an example of perseverance. So we continued to work together, and we are hopeful that everyone appreciates the work that we do.
     Of course, I am talking about May marking the fifth anniversary of Funny Guy Friday. Technically, Cheryl started her blog near the end of April and introduced me, but my first actual post was in May.
     That is right boys and girls, this is the fifth year of my writing... and Cheryl editing... FGF.  Have not missed one week in five years. Two-hundred and fifty or so weeks of writing this stupid blog post! That is Ripken-like!
     Let that marinate for a second...
     For 250 straight weeks I have had to take some mundane event that happened and make it funny. You try making a trip to Toys R Us to buy batteries funny. You try to find humor in having the talk with your 12-year-old son. You try to make merry with your baby boy getting smacked in the face with a watermelon rind. Or your daughter stealing your hairbrush.
     It ain't easy!
     Please do not send me any gifts to mark this great milestone. Your laughter is all the reward I will ever need... although a gift certificate to Ruth Chris Steakhouse would be sweet!
     Oh, and before I forget, Happy Anniversary to my lovely wife.
     It was April 25, 1992, when we tied the knot. Engaged after six weeks of dating, and not once in twenty three years have I ever doubted my decision to spend my life with Cheryl!
     Hey, wait a second. You know if you read the beginning of this, you might have thought that I was talking about our marriage and not my FGF milestone.
     Puhhh-leeeeze... if you think that Cheryl and I ever sat and discussed ending our marriage, you have never met my wife.
     One day, Noah and I were watching a Japanese advertisement promoting marriage. At the beginning of the ad, a gentleman is sitting with his wife at a restaurant and slides divorce papers over to her, as if he were giving her a business proposal. She looked at the papers and her eyes teared up.
     I turned to Noah and asked, What do you think Mom would do if I ever took her out to dinner and slid divorce papers over to her?
     She would slide them back and say..."No. Just No! Put those papers away and order some food... we aren't getting divorced! One of us has to pick up Matthew in twenty minutes so hurry up!"
     Noah knows his mother well!     
     So two big milestones this week. Five years of Funny Guy Friday and twenty-three years of wedded bliss... well, mostly bliss!
     I must admit that one is much easier than the other!
     You know, the more I think about it, five years of FGF may not warrant a great steak dinner, but twenty-three year of marriage may!
     Forget what I said about your laughter being the only reward that I need... I need a good steak dinner.
     Just for fun, I may draw up some divorce papers and in the middle of our meal, slide them on over to my bride. It could make for a funny story!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails