November

Matthew 13.
Hindsight is 2020.

Saturday, July 24, 2010

America was the new Jerusalem...

     Did you know that the Founders considered America to be a new Jerusalem? The Founders' writings and symbols were steeped in God, Moses and the Exodus. They were fleeing oppression from a tyrannical king, and they knew they were being guided to freedom by God. They appreciated how important He was for them, and for our nation.
     I thought about this a couple of days ago as I read a reading from the book of Jeremiah. The end is especially pertinent, considering that, through the years, our national leaders have forsaken God. They think they can be the savior, and create their notion of heaven on earth
     They focus on the material, while doing everything in their power to marginalize and even extinguish the spiritual. Do not depend on God... depend on the government. They have pushed God out. And our society has let it happen.
     They have forsaken God, the source of living waters, and they have dug themselves cisterns, broken cisterns, that hold no water.
Jer 2:1-3, 7-8, 12-13
 "This word of the LORD came to me: Go, cry out this message for Jerusalem to hear! I remember the devotion of your youth, how you loved me as a bride, Following me in the desert, in a land unsown. Sacred to the LORD was Israel, the first fruits of his harvest; Should any presume to partake of them, evil would befall them, says the LORD. When I brought you into the garden land to eat its goodly fruits, You entered and defiled my land, you made my heritage loathsome. The priests asked not, "Where is the LORD?" Those who dealt with the law knew me not: the shepherds rebelled against me. The prophets prophesied by Baal, and went after useless idols. Be amazed at this, O heavens, and shudder with sheer horror, says the LORD. Two evils have my people done: they have forsaken me, the source of living waters; They have dug themselves cisterns, broken cisterns, that hold no water." 
     For even more, read today's reading from Jeremiah. Amazing. God is good.
     America... Ask yourselves... Why are you giving yourselves back to the Pharaoh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails