November

Matthew 13.
Hindsight is 2020.

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Did anybody miss me? My time in Newport...

Along the Cliff Walk, Newport
     If you follow my blog, you might have noticed that I was a bit absent this past week. Our little gang took a much needed, much enjoyed vacation to Newport, Rhode Island.
     Oh, Funny Guy managed to post, but I did not get much computer time.
     If you've never been to Newport, take my word for it, it is beautiful. There is a little something for everyone. The beach... shopping... yummy dining... gorgeous scenery that is quintessentially New England.
     A little background... My mom grew up in Newport. She was the youngest of nine children of a self-starting, immigrant father, and a hardworking mother.
     My mom taught school in Newport, and she met my father when he was stationed there in the Navy. They were married there. They moved to Maryland, but most of her family remained in Newport.
     While I was growing up, we vacationed there every summer. Those times were fun... filled with family gatherings and tradition.
     Mark and I have been there several times with our own children. We love Newport.
     My favorite scenic Newport attraction has to be the Ocean Drive. I think we enjoyed it everyday.
Around the Ocean Drive


     The Ocean Drive is comprised of beach coves, spectacular views, and the summer cottages of the Gilded Age. Today, we would call those cottages mansions. Spectacular indeed.
The boys running on the lawn at Rosecliff
     One other feature that Newport has, that makes time spent there even better, is family. My parents spend the summers there, and even though we do see them here at home, it is fun to spend some time with them there, as well. My children enjoy time spent with them, and they love to fly kites at Brenton Point with Grampy, and listen to Grammy's stories of the past. Her favorite place on earth is Brenton Point.
Mum and me at Brenton Point
     We stayed with my cousin, who is one of the kindest, most generous people you could ever know. She is warm and hospitable, and we feel blessed that her door is always open. While we were there, her sister came to visit with her grandchildren. Cutie-pies. A nice treat.
     We spent one evening with another one of my cousins, his wife, and their beautiful daughter. They are always gracious and kind. Laughter abounds anytime we are together. Spectacular sunsets grace their home.
Sunset over the Sakonnet River
    We also enjoyed dinner with my mom's brother and his wife. Their eldest son joined us, as an added surprise. Again... gracious... hospitable... loving. They take great interest in my children. And the kids can sense that. Truly a blessing.
     To wrap up the other highlights of the week, we celebrated Mark's birthday... had clam chowder at the Black Pearl on Bowen's Wharf... shopped at my favorite store on Thames Street, Frazzleberries... spent some time with our beautiful niece and her husband from Hawaii... enjoyed a drink on the lawn of Oceancliff, one of Newport's resorts overlooking the sea... and frolicked in a quiet little cove around the Ocean Drive, called Gooseberry Beach.
Celebrating Mark's birthday at Sardella's Italian Restaurant
Playing on the rocks at Gooseberry Beach
Splish Splash... I got you
Grace sunning at Gooseberry Beach
     So all in all, a great time in Newport. My family is a joy. God's creation never disappoints.
A wonderful time in Newport

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Chech. Love the pic. You guys look great and I love the pic of you and mom..you look so much alike. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails