November

Matthew 13.
Hindsight is 2020.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

We thank God...

     I wrote this last spring, but never posted it. I thought that now would be a good time to publish it... given my recent post about the real agenda of the green movement, as explained by Real Catholic TV's CIA...
     My son came home with a science homework assignment. In the center of the ditto was the phrase, Have you thanked a plant today? There were spaces surrounding the center square for the schoolchildren to draw little pictures, or paste little items, of cloth, better air, spices, cereals, lumber, paper, fruits & vegetables, and other.
     Even at ten years old, my son raised an eyebrow, with the full knowledge that something wasn't right about this. In our home, we thank God our Creator for our blessings... we do not thank plants.
     My 13-year old daughter went farther than just raising her eyebrow. With her usual passion, she immediately sat down and wrote an essay that began with, "This is the stupidest homework ever!" She went on to note that the plant won't actually thank you back... that ironically, this was a waste of paper... "The plant is not actually going to appreciate your thanks. The very same people pushing the save a tree thing, are wasting perfectly good paper giving out this kind of assignment to a bunch of kids who would much rather be outside playing... or better yet... picking flowers. I am really not for the whole Go Green thing, if you can't already tell. Thank you, plant, for being sooo incredibly great... and also for giving us oxygen... but, wait... well... actually... you should be thanking us for the carbon dioxide that we give you... so that you can be so great. So you should thank me. You're welcome."
     Gotta love a daughter on a crusade.
     I have taught my children that we thank God for His beautiful creation, and yes, we should be good stewards... but thanking a plant? While I'm on the subject... just a plea to the go green types... Can you please stop telling my children that they have to save the planet... I can't even manage to make my bed everyday, and they are supposed to save the planet?
     All you need to remind them of is this... God made a beautiful creation called earth... He made it for us to enjoy and to share... So we have a responsibility to be good stewards... and we show God our respect by caring for each other and His creation. And we thank Him. And we trust in Him.
      So, my son did do his assignment... but he changed the center square to read, appropriately... Have you thanked God today? 
     Good for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails